Attacked By Someone Else’s Dog? You Have Rights.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, approximately 800,000 people seek medical care related to dog bite injuries in the United States every year. Sadly, about half of these victims are children between the ages of five and nine. If you or your child was attacked by someone else's dog, you shouldn't wait to take action.
Joe and John are excellent attorneys. It was a difficult case at times, But with their professional experience, they pushed through.K.C.
Experience on Your Side Our injury attorneys are dedicated to your recovery. Call our team today at 816-865-5700 to schedule your free initial consultation. There is no fee unless we win your case!
How Can Klenofsky & Steward, LLC Help?
- Available 24/7 - We'll take your call anytime.
- Contingency Fees - You don’t pay any legal fees unless we win your case.
- We Come to You - If needed, we’ll travel to you for an in-home consultation.
- Free Case Evaluation - Initial consultations are always FREE and confidential.
- Results - We’ve recovered millions on behalf of past clients.
Call our Kansas City dog bite lawyers today! Klenofsky & Steward, LLC is backed by years of experience and millions of dollars in recovered compensation.
Strict Liability Dog Bite Laws in Missouri
If you were injured by another person's pet, you should know about the premises liability laws that protect you. In Missouri, dog owners can be held strictly liable for any injuries caused by their pet—regardless of whether or not they knew about their dog’s vicious tendencies. It is also true that victims can seek damages even if the owner was not negligent in handling the dog.
According to Missouri Statute § 273.036, a dog owner can be held liable if:
- The victim’s injuries were caused specifically by a dog bite
- The victim was on public property or lawfully on private property
- The victim did not provoke the dog before they were bitten
You may be eligible to seek compensation through a personal injury claim for your medical expenses, missed wages, pain and suffering, disfigurement, loss of earning capacity, and more. Speak with our dog bite attorney in Kansas City, MO about your case today. We are proud of our commitment to our clients, and we believe that this commitment sets us apart.
Common Owner Defenses in Dog Bite Claims
Although Missouri does carry a strict liability rule for dog bites, there are commonly applied defenses the dog’s owner can apply toward such claims such as:
- Provocation - the owner is not liable if the injured party provoked the dog such as by poking it with a stick or the like.
- Trespassing - the owner is not liable if the injured party was unlawfully on the property where the dog bite accident occurred.
- Comparative Negligence - the owner is not liable if the injured party is partly or completely responsible for the dog to attack.
It helps to have a trusted and experienced attorney on your side if the dog's owner uses any of the above-mentioned defenses in an attempt to either reduce or eliminate the compensation you can recover.
Statue of Limitations for Dog Bites in Missouri
In Missouri, if you are bitten by a dog, you have a five year time limit to file a claim for compensation. Additionally, the statute of limitations date typically begins the date of your injury, or when you were first bitten by the dog.
If you wait to file past the five-year statute of limitation in regards to your dog bite injury, you will likely not have a personal injury case. Therefore, it is highly important to understand when the deadline expires in your dog bite case so it can be heard in the court of law.
- Millions Recovered For Our Clients
- Zero Fees Unless We Win Your Case
- In-Home Consultations Available
- Evening & Weekend Meetings
Are you ready to seek compensation for your dog bite injuries? At Klenofsky & Steward, LLC, we are experienced in handling dog bite cases. We offer tough, aggressive representation for the victims of animal attacks, and we never back down where our clients' interests are concerned. Our Kansas City dog bite lawyers are available 24/7, so don't wait to get started on your case.
Contact us at Klenofsky & Steward, LLC for your free case evaluation. We take calls 24/7!